County Home

About Building

Builders seeking a commercial permit are required to obtain a letter of zoning compliance. Zoning is administered by Franklin County Economic Development & Planning for Brown, Clinton, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison, Mifflin, Norwich, Pleasant, Sharon, and Truro townships. Jackson, Jefferson, Perry, Plain, Prairie, and Washington townships administer their own zoning. The State of Ohio will issues the building permit.

Home owners and/or Building Contractors will be required to obtain a zoning compliance from the townships of Jackson, Jefferson, Perry, Plain, Prairie, or Washington and then apply to this office for the building permit.

In the villages of Harrisburg, Lockbourne, Minerva Park, Riverlea, Urbancrest and Valleyview Home Owners and Building Contractors are required to obtain a zoning compliance from the village and apply to this office for the building permit. The villages of Groveport and Obetz will issue both the zoning compliance and the building permits.

For Franklin County Building Code, refer to the 2013 Residential Code of Ohio (RCO). You can also obtain the 2013 RCO from any of the Public Libraries or online

A building permit is required for all properties with 200 sq. ft. and larger. The BIA form below requires one original and three copies be submitted to this office with your plans and zoning compliance.


How to obtain a building permit

Apply for permits at the Franklin County building department or online at the Franklin County Online Permit Center.

Franklin county Economic Development and Planning is located at 150 S Front St, FSL Suite 10 Columbus, Ohio 43215.

Building permits are issued in 7 to 10 days after approval of the plans examiners for properties that have access to public water and sewer.

Construction on properties that have private wells or cistern are issued after the plans have been examined and approved by Franklin County Public Health and then returned to the building department.

Electrical and/or HVAC permits will be issued the same day.

To obtain a building permit you will need to bring

  • 2 sets of structural drawings
  • 2 plot plans drawn to scale
  • 1 copy of the recorded deed for new construction of a house
  • 1 letter of zoning compliance as applicable

Drawings do not have to be prepared by an architect or engineer except as required by the plans examiner.

Complete plans must be drawn to scale with sufficient clarity, details and dimensions to show the extent of the proposed work.

Copies of a deed can be obtained from the Recorder's Office in the Courthouse on the 18th floor; 373 S. High St., Columbus, OH 43215.

Letter of Zoning Compliance

If you are building in any of the following Villages or Townships you must obtain a letter of zoning compliance from the zoning authority in that jurisdiction.


  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Perry
  • Plain
  • Prairie
  • Washington
  • Canal Winchester


  • Harrisburg
  • Lockbourne
  • Riverlea
  • Urbancrest
  • Valleyview
  • Minerva Park

If you are building in any of the following Townships, the Zoning Compliance will be issued by the Franklin County Development department as part of the application process.

  • Brown
  • Clinton
  • Franklin
  • Hamilton
  • Madison
  • Mifflin
  • Norwich
  • Pleasant
  • Sharon
  • Truro
John O'Grady President
Marilyn Brown
Kevin L. Boyce